Bowls of Caring began as Bowls of Sharing in 2004 in memory of Kathy Crabtree, an accomplished potter and co-founder of Local Color. Kathy died from complications of Cushings Syndrome. Her friends and family wanted to do something to honor her memory and so they created pottery bowls and held a soup dinner fundraiser. They donated the money raised to local charities and a regular fundraiser was born. The event continued to grow each year, eventually outgrowing its initial home in the SCM Parish Center. This expansion also led to the creation of “bowl parties” where individuals and groups could paint their own pre-made bowl to bring to the event.
In 2014 the Bowls of Sharing committee decided they could no longer dedicate the time and hours of work it took to produce such an event. YWCA stepped forward and asked to be able to continue this popular and successful fundraiser as a YWCA event. Due to legal and tax reasons the name had to be changed and Bowls of Caring was created. This is the 5th year the YWCA has hosted this event and it continues to be a popular and fun family event.
The profits brought in from the fundraiser benefit all of Sweetwater County through the services offered at YWCA. The services provided to the community include high quality child care, support and resources for victims of family violence, and free financial empowerment classes- a program offering basic financial education to anyone in the community.
We would like to ask for your support as we simply cannot do it alone. There are many ways you can help:
- * Monetary donations will assist in funding the event. Donors will have their name advertised at the event.
- Gift certificates and products will be used for raffles and auction and will bring attention to your business and/or service.
- Host a “Bowl Party” that will help in selling tickets for the Event. Contact us early as dates fill up quickly.
- If your group wants to purchase tickets we will bring all the supplies for the party and then bring back the finished bowls with your tickets.
- We will also reserve your group a table at the event.
- We will host several “Open Bowl Parties” at locations around town. Keep an eye on our Facebook page or this site for more dates.
- Prepare a soup to be served at the event.
- Volunteer at the event
We would like to emphasize that any donation, large or small is welcomed and appreciated.